St Anthony’s is located on the traditional lands of the Darumbal people. We respectfully acknowledge the Darumbal people, past, present and future, as the traditional owners of the land on which our school stands.
The school was first established in 1901 by the Sisters of Mercy. On the 20th January 1901, the school began operation in the new church at Koongal. The school was established to service the needs of the large number of families drawn to the area by the Canoona Gold Rush and the eventual establishment of Lakes Creek meat works. The Church was named after St Nicholas the patron saint of butchers.
On 14th July 1981 after 80 years at the Koongal site, the school was moved to the current site in Norman Gardens. The relocated school was open and blessed as St Anthony’s. From humble beginnings with an enrolment of 75 students, St Anthony’s has developed into a co-educational school with an enrolment over 500 students in 2022.
The first lay principal was appointed in 1988, after a Sister of Mercy held the position of principal from 1981 – 1985 and a Franciscan Sister was principal 1986 - 1987. The last full-time religious member of staff was in 1994